Congratulations on accepting the San Jose Public Library Summer Reading Challenge! This year’s program runs from June 1—July 31, 2017.
Earn points by logging your reading and completing learning activities.
Read as a Family!
Create an account for yourself or for your entire family or 'team'. Programs are available for pre-readers, readers, teens, and adults. On your account's Dashboard, you can toggle between participants or add additional people to the account at any time.
Challenge yourself to read for 20 minutes a day and track the time you spend reading:
- On your Dashboard ("Home" tab), locate the Book Log.
- Type in the minutes you read under "Enter How Many Minutes You Read" and click the "Submit" button .
- Optionally, you can enter the titles and authors of the book(s) you are reading, or rate the book. Points are only awarded for the minutes you track, not for the optional information.
- Every minute you log earns 1 point, contributing to your total at the top of the Dashboard.
- To look back at the history of the minutes and titles you've logged, select the "Your Book Log" tab. The Book Log shows reading for all participants on the account.
- All reading counts: reading can be done anywhere, and using any format. Families reading aloud together can count these minutes for everyone.
Complete learning activities to earn points and digital badges:
- On your Dashboard ("Home" tab), all activities are listed to the right.
- For each activity you complete, click "Claim".
- Each activity earns you 10 points, contributing to your total at the top of the Dashboard.
- See the badges you've earned at the bottom of your Dashboard.
- Find and enter secret codes to earn bonus points - a box to enter a code appears above the list of activities.
- Pick up all prizes at your local SJPL branch by August 12, 2017.
- Pre-Reader, Reader, or Teen participants who reach 600 points receive a free book of their choice.
- Pre-Reader, Reader, or Teen participants who reach 1200 points can choose one of several toy prizes. (choices at specific branch libraries may vary) Adult participants earn a voucher for a free book from the Friends of the Library at 1200 points.
- Visit the library to claim any of these prizes.
- See the prizes!
- Participants who log their reading minutes and complete activities online are automatically entered into weekly prize drawings.
- Earn a drawing entry when you reach 300, 900, 1300, 1400, 2000, and 3000 points. Adult participants also earn a drawing entry at 600 and 1200 points.
- We will contact you if you win. Be sure to provide a phone number or email address with your account to be eligible.
- At the end of the summer, grand prize winners will also be drawn.
- See the drawing prizes!